Universal Audio – Director of Product Management (Hardware)
Remote (Domestic USA)
Department: Product Management
Location: Scotts Valley California OR Hybrid/Remote
Universal Audio (UA) is seeking a dynamic and visionary Director of Product Management (Hardware) to lead our product development efforts and drive growth in our diverse portfolio.
With a 60-year legacy of innovation, UA stands as a pioneer in audio and music production tools, built on a foundation of craftsmanship, creativity, and learning. We empower music and audio creators across the globe with our industry-leading products. UA is headquartered in Scotts Valley, California, with passionate employees from all over the world — united by our mission of Inspiring Sound for Generations.
As the Director of Hardware Products, you will manage a team of product managers and, steering the development of cutting-edge audio interfaces, microphones, guitar products, and future hardware offerings. Hardware Product Management at UA spans many different target markets including music creation, home recording, professional recording, live sound, broadcast, post, guitar, and more.
You will be responsible for guiding product strategies, ensuring seamless integration between hardware and software, and driving key initiatives on a quarterly basis. Coordinating with other Directors, you will implement strategies toward established company objectives and deliver growth to the company. Your expert knowledge of audio workflows, product management, business/portfolio management, data analysis, and product development will be invaluable in our pursuit of creating truly differentiated audio products.
This role requires a high-energy, self-motivated individual with strong technical, analytical, and business skills with a detail-oriented mindset, excellent written & verbal communication skills, and the ability to work with diverse product development teams to help contribute to Universal Audio’s overall success.
You will be involved in all stages of the product lifecycle, including business case development, customer interviews/collaboration, data analysis, definition/design phases, go-to-market, growth, sustaining, and end-of-life. You will be responsible for clearly communicating complex information to multiple departments and Executive Staff all while driving alignment across the business.
Primary deliverables include integrated Hardware / Software product design and strategy, Product Line P&L Management, Customer Persona and Competitor Analysis, Product and Feature/Benefit Concept Documents, Product Briefs (Go To Market hand-off/collaboration), business cases, and presentations for various stakeholder groups.
Responsibilities at Universal Audio
- Lead a team of product managers.
- Develop and implement product line strategies and roadmaps.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to create exceptional products and user experiences.
- Work with internal stakeholders to establish business cases that serve as justification for new products and features with a clear representation of the costs and benefits.
- Help grow various product lines by analyzing market trends and solving customer problems better than competitors.
- Establish business cases for new products and features, clearly articulating costs and benefits.
- Foster cooperation among individuals and departments by sharing resources and information, working together to accomplish team goals.
- Drive market research and competitive analysis to inform product development.
- Engage with customers to gain insights and feedback through various channels.
- Manage and improve product lifecycle management (PLCM) processes.
- Experience in product management with a B2C or “prosumer” hardware or software company.
- Proven ability to motivate teams in challenging/ambiguous environments.
- Experience identifying customer and market pain points/problems and building solutions to solve them.
- Experience with the entire product lifecycle process for multiple products/product lines
- Proficient in working with both internal and external (overseas, ODM, JDM) product development teams.
- Proficient in modern hardware & software development tools/processes.
- Excellent communication, planning, prioritization, and organizational skills.
- Able to contribute to the definition of strategic vision and to articulate it in front of a wide variety of audiences.
- Excellent quantitative and qualitative analysis skills.
- Ability to lead through influence and rally internal stakeholder support.
- Willing to travel when necessary (customer visits, CABS, partner meetings, CMs, trade shows, competitive evaluation, etc.)
- Expert in computer music, audio recording/creation, or related field.
- Retail or E-Commerce sales experience.
- Fluency in music / is a musician.
- Go-to-market experience.
- Proficiency in multiple digital audio workstations (DAWs).
- BS degree or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of Product Management experience.
Music Industry Jobs / Universal Audio Jobs / Universal Audio Salary
Universal Audio Salary Range/Hourly Rate of Pay:
California Salary Range = $180K – $220K
Base salary/hourly rate of pay will be based on the cost of labor for the city/state in which the new hire resides, at the time of hire.
UA offers competitive benefits: Profit sharing, Medical/Dental/Vision, 401K Safe Harbor Contribution, Stock Options, Flexible time-off (PTO/Sick Leave/Company Holiday Time-off), etc.
Inspiring Sound for Generations: www.uaudio.com