CSUN – ASSISTANT OR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR AND MIKE CURB ENDOWED CHAIR OF MUSIC INDUSTRY STUDIES (US)
|CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, NORTHRIDGE (CSUN)
|LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
|$81,000 – $103,000 PA
|NOVEMBER 30, 2023
Tenure-Track Faculty Position Announcement
Faculty Hire Number: #24-45
Rank: Assistant or Associate Professor
Effective Date of Appointment: August 21, 2024 (Subject to Budgetary Approval)
Salary Scale: $81,000 to $95,000 Assistant Professor and $96,000 to $103,000 Associate Professor (Dependent upon qualifications)
CSUN’S COMMITMENT TO YOU
CSUN is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. Our values include a respect for all people, building partnerships with the community and the encouragement of innovation, experimentation, and creativity. CSUN strives to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. CSUN is especially interested in candidates who make contributions to equity and inclusion in the pursuit of excellence for all members of the university community.
As a Hispanic-serving Institution (HSI), inclusiveness and diversity are integral to CSUN’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement. As of Fall 2022, CSUN enrolls ~38,000 students, where 57.3% are Latinx, 19.8% are White, 9.2% are Asian-American, 4.9% are Black/African American, 0.1% are Native American, and 0.2% are Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander.
For more information about the University, visit: https://www.csun.edu
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
For more information about the College of Arts, Media and Mass Communication see: https://www.csun.edu/mike-curb-arts-media-communication
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
For more information about the Department of Music, see: https://www.csun.edu/mike-curb-arts-media-communication/music
The Department of Music at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is seeking a tenure-track faculty member at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor to serve as the Mike Curb Endowed Chair of Music Industry Studies. The successful candidate will teach courses in the field of Music Industry and have research interests in this field.
In addition to teaching, the position requires weekly office hours, attending faculty meetings, participation in assessment of student learning, and service to the department, college, and university. The successful candidate will be held to the standards and requirements of the college and department in which he/she/they is/are housed for recommending tenure and promotion. Given CSUN’s commitment to excellence in teaching, research, and engagement in a diverse environment, the successful candidate will help the Department achieve equitable academic outcomes for all students through teaching, student mentorship, scholarship, and service.
Assistant or Associate Professor of Music Industry Studies
Mike Curb Endowed Chair of Music Industry Studies (MIS)
- Graduate degree in music, law, business, or another relevant field
- Professional experience in one or more areas of the music industry, including but not limited to: Music Law, Music Publishing and Licensing, Copyright, Entertainment Industry Contracts, Record Company Operations, Artist Management, Music in Media, Live Performance, or Music Products
- Classroom teaching experience in person and/or online
- Evidence of effective engagement or potential to engage with a diverse student body using culturally responsive pedagogy that leads to equitable outcomes for all students
- Experience creating a student-centered learning environment, while adopting inclusive approaches to mentoring
- Experience and/or understanding of current and emerging practices in digital production, distribution, marketing, and technology
- Industry experience and/or expertise in a popular music genre, such as Latin Music or Hip-Hop ∙ College or University level teaching experience
- Teach courses in the Music Industry Studies curriculum. The teaching assignment would likely include some of the following courses:
- Copyright, Publishing, and Licensing
- Record and Publishing Contracts
- Digital Strategies for the Music Industry
- Other courses in the candidate’s area of expertise
- Serve as advisor to all Music Industry Studies majors
- Supervise the Music Industry Studies Internship Program
- Act as Faculty Advisor for the student-run record label (VOVE Entertainment) and the Music Entertainment Student Association (MESA).
- In conjunction with Department Chair and Dean, budget spending of endowment funds to support MIS events and projects, adhering to processes and procedures of CSUN and The Mike Curb Foundation
- Initiate curriculum changes that would keep the CSUN Music Industry Studies majors competitive in the job market upon completion of the program
- The standard teaching load at CSUN for a tenure track position is 12 units per semester
- Serve on Music Department, College, and University committees
The applications deadline is November 30, 2023. Priority will be given to applicants who meet the deadline; however, the position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply:
Candidates should apply by completing the CSUN online application. To apply and for more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please visit this link: www.csun.edu/careers
Applicants must submit a letter of interest and current CV to the website in the section above. In later stages of the search process, applicants may be requested to provide additional materials.
At time of appointment, the successful candidate, if not a U.S. citizen, must have authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to work in the United States.
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Northridge has made crime-reporting statistics available on line here. Print copies are available by request from the Department of Police Services, the Office for Faculty Affairs, and the Office of Equity and Diversity.
The person holding this position may be considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
In accordance with the California State University (CSU) Out-of-State Employment Policy, the CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the State of California and prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California.
CSUN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, and disability. Our nondiscrimination policy is set forth in CSU Nondiscrimination Policy. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org at 818-677-3187.